Whether you’re on your daily commute or a fun road trip, it’s easy to lose focus while driving in and around Tampa, FL. Distracted driving was blamed for more than 390,000 injuries in 2015 and about 3,450 deaths the following year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Boost your safety IQ with a few driving tips for staying alert the next time you hit the road.
Protect yourself, your passengers, and other drivers on the road by giving the road your full attention, every time. It only takes a moment for things to go wrong.
- Use hands-free features on your devices or pull over to make calls or check the GPS.
- Keep music to a reasonable volume or turn it off.
- Don’t get caught up in conversations in the vehicle.
Avoid Driving While Drowsy
Studies show drowsy drivers share characteristics with drunken drivers, including delayed reaction times and weaving between lanes. The safest plan is to avoid driving until you can sleep. If you just need a little help staying alert, here are a few driving tips:
- Take a nap before leaving.
- Grab a coffee or another caffeinated beverage.
- Roll down the windows, play the radio and sing along.
- Share the driving duties.
Stay Alert for Safety Hazards
As you’re driving, watch out for obstacles in the road. Keep a safe following distance from big trucks, which often kick up rocks that can chip or crack your windshield. Broken glass in your line of sight is a safety hazard that’s important to fix ASAP.
To learn more about glass repair, check out Mr. Auto Glass’s windshield safety facts or call 866-300-5013. Mobile service is available in Jacksonville and the Tampa Bay area, including St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Lakeland, and Sarasota.